Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Grandma Lucy's 80th Birthday

A couple Sundays ago we celebrated Ryan's Grandma Lucy's 80th Birthday!  It was a fun time spent with family, and I think the birthday girl enjoyed herself.  :)  Grandma Lucy is one of sweetest, thriftiest, and fittest 80 year olds that I know!  She loves the Lord, and she's a big prayer warrior. 

We enjoyed lunch together at the River House and I made cake balls for dessert! Grandma opened her gifts, we shared some of our favorite memories of her, and we snapped some family photos before we took a boat ride on the Channel Cat (water taxi).  It was the most perfect, summer Sunday afternoon.  Side note: There were 15 of us all together, and can you believe that our waiter did not write down a single order???? We were a little nervous and wondering if the birthday meal was going to be a disaster.  As far as I know there were no mistakes and everyone got what they wanted!  Wow. That guy has a good memory.

cousin Erik's monster burger.
he somehow was able to eat the whole thing.  we told him he had to. 

Grandma's "cake" :)



great grand kids

grand kids

two of her kids!

with her daughter in-law and son
and finally....this photo captures what was by far the funniest moment of the day.  We were all walking to our cars after lunch and Caleb (my BIL) was responsible for carrying Grandma's birthday balloons.  As we were about to get into our jeep, we heard some commotion at the other end of the parking lot and looked up to see the giant bouquet of balloons floating over the parking lot and up, up, up and away into the vast blue sky! Hahaha!  Poor Caleb.  It wasn't his fault.  He was simply holding onto the weight at the bottom of the balloons, thinking it was securely attached.  Once he realized what happened he took a leap into the air to grab them, but they were out of his reach. We told Grandma that the balloons were "set free" in honor of her birthday.  :)


Speaking of Grandmas....I've been missing my Grandma Jeske lately.  She's my only living grandparent.  I wish I lived closer to her so I could spend more time with her.  If we lived closer to each other I'm fairly certain we'd bake together all the time.  I must have inherited my love of baking from her.  She makes the best pies.  I think I also inherited my fear of talking on the phone from her.  ;)  Yes. It's true.  Talking on the phone isn't one of my favorite things.  I don't know why.  Most girls love talking on the phone, don't they?!


Anyway....the other day I wrote my Grandma a letter just to say I was thinking about her and praying for her.  I need to do that more often.  So,  here's my encouragement to you....call your grandma or write her a note just to tell her you love her.  Doesn't matter if she lives in the same town and you see her almost everyday, or if she's miles and miles away.  Just do it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I also hate talking on the phone :-/ That's why I was elated when texting was invented haha!

    Gotta go write to my granny now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way about talking on the phone! So funny. :) I have only one living grandparent also. My mom's mom. She doesn't really like the phone either. I really, really need to spend more time with her. She is about an 8-hour drive from me. *sigh* I need to send her a card. :) <3 u!

    ReplyDelete